Why a Bio?
I am putting a Bio on my web site because I thought you might want to know something about the person who prospectively will tutor your child. I have a more diverse past than many math teachers. I am not particularly nerdy in my demeanor (just in my knowledge of math). I have good interpersonal skills and I can create rapport with students in a different way.
My Bio as a List of Random Facts
- I have an undergraduate engineering degree from Cornell University.
- I currently work part time for South Brunswick High School as a math home instruction teacher for students who can't go to school (usually for medical reasons). However, I spend more hours doing private tutoring.
- I enjoy tutoring and take pride in my work.
- I taught math at Perth Amboy High School, an urban school which has an 86% Latino student body. I had stopped full-time teaching for a while to care for my baby daughter Nina. She is 12 now. Tutoring and home instruction suits me.
- I decided to become a math teacher and teach in an urban school district in order to make a difference in the world.
- I believe math is an important life skill and an important career skill.
- I did not meet my beautiful and talented wife until I was 40 (I turn 53 in March).
- I love playing ultimate frisbee. It is not unusual for me to be on the field and sidelines with high school and college students.
- I have worked for companies such as IBM, Bell Laboratories, Computer Associates and several smaller technology companies.
- I took a year off from working when I was 33 and traveled extensively throughout the US and Europe. I often slept in the back of my minivan or in youth hostels.
- After my year off, I started and ran my own consulting business for almost a decade.
- I received a 790 on my math SAT.
- I am an expert skier and backpacker, but I haven't gotten out very often since my children were born.
- I am fully licensed in New Jersey to teach high school math.
- I am a "highly qualified teacher" under the No Child Left Behind Act.
- I believe that most students can do reasonably well at math with enough effort and assistance.
- Many people in my life have described me as "mellow", but I do not always feel that is true.
- I make friends easily and I generally like meeting people.
- I am halfway to getting my MAT (that's Master of the Art of Teaching) at NJCU.
- My wife is a Ph. D. child psychologist working in a public preschool program for developmentally challenged 3 and 4 year olds.
- I have a wonderful daughter and a wonderful son.
- I have coached at various times with my son's and daughter's soccer, basketball, baseball and softball teams. They both have seemed to settle on soccer.
- I have a strong belief that I should keep agreements quite accurately and try to do business with people who feel the same way.
- My father grew up the son of Slovak immigrants in a poor coal mining town in north central Pennsylvania and my mother grew up the daughter of a successful small businessman.
- On my mothers side, some ancestors were leaders of the underground railroad and the anti-slavery movement in Pennsylvania in the decades before the Civil War.
- I agree with the complaint that the US math curriculum is "a mile wide and an inch deep".
- I wish I had more time to listen to music. My new Echo has made it easier.
- I have passed many background checks including South Brunswick Board of Ed, South Brunswick Soccer Association and SBAA baseball.
- I strongly believe that all children and young adults deserve to feel good about themselves and their talents. I am saddened when I see a high school student feel less about themselves when they have difficulty in math. I smile when the same student is excited about getting an A on the test.
- I am very confident in my abilities as math tutor. I am very good at what I do.
- You are still reading this list? Please call today......
Give me a call and we can discuss possibilities. I am very easy to talk to. I listen well and together we can tailor a solution to meet your needs.
Please call today (732)-960-1827 (before 9pm please).